Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Slightly Sweet Crepes with Caramelized Bananas and Nutella Sauce


Until this past month, I would sometimes make pancakes a little thinner and spread Nutella and fresh bananas on them while hot. (Because bananas and Nutella were made for each other - especially when warmed.) Sometimes I'd roll them up, sometimes I wouldn't. I was trying to imitate a crepe.


Until this past month, my attempts at gluten-free crepes were usually tasty but a major pain that left me not wanting to mess with them anymore. I got most success out of bean flours, but it still wasn't simple. And they always tore when I tried to flip them. (Well, due to the pan I was using, they tore when I tried to flip them when I made gluten crepes, too, but they didn't tear as badly.)

But this past month, crepes were our Gluten-Free Ratio Rally challenge. I was prepared for it this month, and started a few weeks before deadline rather than a few days as in some months. I'm thrilled to say that the crepes I tried the first time around were so successful, I was able to try them a few more times and in different ways with equal success. I was even able to flip them by just lifting an edge up and turning the crepe over with my fingers.

Thicker crepe

These crepes are as close to perfect crepes as I think I've ever gotten, even when I was making crepes with gluten. They don't tear when you flip them, they hold up under rolling ingredients into them or even folding them, and they taste amazing. I was able to make them thicker and even as thin as paper - all without tearing. And the best part, of course, is they have no gluten.

Thinner crepe
Thinner crepe

Given all of the above, I'm very, very grateful that T.R. Crumbley of No One Likes Crumbley Cookies is hosting crepes as our challenge this month! (Thank you, T.R!) Be sure to visit T.R.'s host post (Brownie Crepes with Strawberry Wine Sauce - Oh.Yum.) which is also covering a variety of crepes and fillings he's come up with, along with all of the other crepes rally participants cooked up for you this month. Your mouth will be watering and you will be reaching for your mixing bowl. (See list at bottom of this post.)

Logo designed by Anile Prakash

Speaking of the rally, this month marks the one-year anniversary of the rally's first challenge and posts. Congratulations, rally participants! If you aren't familiar with the Gluten-Free Ratio Rally and what it's all about, you can find more information at my rally page where I include a link to the very first host post by Shauna (Gluten-Free Girl) and as well as links to my monthly rally posts. Using a ratio and weight to make these recipes gives me an independence I'd never experienced in the kitchen before joining the rally. Weight and ratio can do the same for you.

For these crepes, I used Ruhlman'screpe ratio of 1:1:1/2 (1 part liquid: 1 part egg: 1/2 part flour). For example, using 2 ounces for the egg because a large egg is approximately 2 ounces, that would mean 2 ounces liquid: 2 ounces egg: 1 ounce flour. Then you adjust the amount you need by multiplying it.

Given my success with crepes and tearing them while flipping in past trials, I immediately ruled out using my stainless pans. I had success with them in the past only for the first few after getting oil really hot in them, and then the rest would tear. I didn't want to use my cast iron skillet because of the size and weight - I was afraid my arms would be tired in trying to thin out the batter properly.

For the first trial on this challenge, I used my electric frying pan (which is actually a square shape) because it's nonstick. It worked fairly well, but took longer because of the odd shape and trying to keep the batter in a round shape as I moved the pan. So, I ordered this awesome crepe panand seasoned it for the next use. It's had a few uses since then. If you have any desire to make crepes on occasion, or even omelets, and own mostly stainless cookware like myself, I highly recommend getting yourself one of these crepe pans. After seasoning it properly, it's superb. I opted for the smaller size, but it comes in two sizes. All I had to do after seasoning (with potato peels - that was a new one for me!) it was put a drop of oil on a paper towel and rub it onto the pan before starting and a few times throughout.


Now on to the recipe. As mentioned earlier, I have loved bananas and Nutella for a long time. While I've never been a fan of fresh bananas, I love bananas when warmed up and especially with chocolate. (I also love bananas in smoothies, bread, pudding, cake ... just not crazy about eating them fresh and plain.) I adore caramelized bananas - which is how I make them in these photos. To give credit where credit is due, I used Ruhlman's suggestion for caramelizing.


Projected prep time: 5 minutes; Rest time for batter: 45 minutes or longer; Cook time: 1-2 minutes per crepe
(Printable Recipe)

Crepes (makes about 12 in a 7-8 inch pan)
8 ounces milk (1 cup)
8 ounces egg (4 large eggs)
2 ounces (56 grams) millet flour
1 ounce (27 grams) tapioca starch
1/2 ounce (14 grams) teff flour
1/2 ounce (14 grams) brown rice flour
1 teaspoon ground chia seed (I use Salba brand)
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon organic pure cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Caramelized bananas:
2 or more bananas, sliced vertically and then horizontally
Butter
Pure dark brown sugar

Nutella sauce:
Nutella
Milk

For crepes, combine dry ingredients together. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together very well until the batter is smooth without lumps and a fairly thin liquid (it will seem thick at first). Cover bowl and let batter rest at least 45 minutes. If you are letting it rest more than an hour or so, refrigerate it.

Lightly sweep a drop of oil over pan with paper towel. (Use more if you are using stainless.) Heat crepe pan, skillet or pan of choice over medium heat.

This batter will have a lot of the heavier ingredients settle at the bottom while resting, so very gently stir with a spoon to combine again. Continue to do this every few crepes. You may want to add a little more milk toward the end to thin the batter out, but it may not be necessary.

Pour a small amount of batter into pan and tilt and swirl pan gently to coat bottom of pan. Cook until set, about a minute, and gently flip over to the other side to cook just until done.

Set cooked crepe on wire rack to cool, or use immediately.

For bananas, melt a couple of tablespoons (use your judgment on how much butter and sugar based on how many bananas you are using) of butter in pan. Add bananas and a few spoonfuls of dark brown sugar, stirring until bananas are hot and butter/sugar mixture has formed a syrup-like consistency.


For Nutella sauce, in a small bowl combine a few spoonfuls of Nutella with a little milk. Stir until smooth, then continue to add a little milk at a time until it's reached a sauce consistency you are happy with. The Nutella may try to seize at first, but if you continue to stir, it will smooth out.

To fill crepes, spoon some of the bananas hot from the pan into each crepe and roll the crepe up. Top with Nutella sauce.


Enjoy!


Because this post is being written ahead of the publish day, I'm sharing another photo of beauty with you from my walk around the neighborhood the other morning. Bees were buzzing all around this tree, and this little worker was very busy with this particular flower. I hope you are able to find beauty in your day today!


Why I'm sharing this: http://mamameglutenfree.blogspot.com/2012/02/beauty-in-eye-of-beholder.html

**Again, many thanks to T.R. for hosting us this month. Be sure to check out his host post and all the other participants' posts. I can't wait to try out all these new crepes!

Adina ~ Gluten Free Travelette ~ Breakfast Crepes Three Ways
Caitlin ~ {Gluten-Free} Nom Nom Nom ~ Buckwheat Crepes
Caleigh ~ Gluten Free[k] ~ Banana Cinnamon Crepes
Claire ~ My Gluten Free Home ~ Victory Crepe Cake
Ginger  ~ Fresh Ginger ~ Sweet 'n Savory
gretchen ~ kumquat ~ nutella crepe cake
Heather ~ Discovering the Extraordinary ~ "Southwestern" Crepes
Karen ~ Cooking Gluten-Free! ~ Gluten Free Crepes Savory or Sweet
Mary Fran ~ FrannyCakes ~ Gluten-free Peanut Butter Crepe Cake
Mary Fran ~ FrannyCakes ~ Gluten-Free Vanilla Bean Crêpes Sucrées
Morri  ~  Meals with Morri ~ Russian Blini for Two
Pete and Kelli ~ No Gluten, No Problem ~ Key Lime Crepes
Shauna ~ gluten-free girl ~ Gluten Free Buckwheat Crepes
T.R. ~ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ Brownie Crepes with Strawberry Wine sauce
T.R. ~ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ Basil Tomato and Feta Crepes
T.R. ~ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ Fresh Fruit Crepe
Tara ~ A Baking Life ~ Breakfast Crepes with Eggs and Kale
Jonathan ~ The Canary Files ~ Vegan Crepes for Filipino Spring Rolls
Rachel ~ The Crispy Cook ~ Raspberries and Cream Crepes
~Mrs. R ~ Honey From Flinty Rocks ~ Crepes - Spinach & Dessert

24 comments:

  1. Nutella and banana, what a winning combination, I would love some of that right now. (I'm very impressed by how thin your crepes are, mine are rather clunky by comparison!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Crepes are delicious no matter the thickness! :D

      Delete
  2. Wow has it been a year already??? Amazing!!!! Your crêpes look beautiful, I love how you showed the different thicknesses that you could get :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, thank you - and I know! Next month will be my year mark with the rally since I didn't start until the second month.

      Delete
  3. Nutella and crepes go very well together indeed. Great job for the Ratio Rally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! Yes, the combo is always a win. :)

      Delete
  4. these look delightful... so glad they were such easy success! and thanks for bringing up the one-year anniversary of the rally. i didn't realize... look at us and how much we've learned! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gretchen! I know - I have learned SO much from being in the rally. So thankful to be a part!

      Delete
  5. love the flour combo, this would be a hit at my house with sauteed bananas and chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went from :) to :D in .05 seconds upon seeing your photos. Can we say YUM!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! (ditto what Morri said) ... Yum! Ok, my mouth is watering now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure looking yummy, I love the banana and Nutella filling too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this combo with the bananas and nutella...I'm going to try to make a refined-sugar free Nutella this week, and I will have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, that sounds great! Let us know how it turns out!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful post, Caneel! Lot of great information and mouth-watering photos. So glad you finally mastered crepes - success is a little more than slightly sweet, wouldn't you say? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to make gf crepes and this recipes sounds perfect, definitely going to give these a try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I have no doubt you'll make them beautiful as your recipes are!

      Delete
  12. Oh Caneel, look how thin you got your crepes! Gorgeous! And the filling sounds amazing, of course. As soon as I saw the first picture, my very-wholesome breakfast of oatmeal didn't seem nearly as appealing. Thanks for reminding all of us about the anniversary - it sure has been a great year for baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara! Yes, it has been an amazing year and I have learned so much!

      Delete

Have something to say? I love to hear from you and read every comment. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...