Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fruit Gel


Both daughters have been sick this week, which makes it a little difficult to accomplish much. The oldest, however, wanted Jello earlier in the week and I always hesitate about Jello, or anything made from non-kosher gelatin.

Actually, kosher gelatin makes me cringe a little, too, but not quite as much as non-kosher. If you don't understand why, look up what gelatin is made of. I'd rather not write it here. I wanted something a little healthier to serve, but I did make Jello in case they didn't like this fruit gel made from agar agar flakes.


The fruit gel was a hit. I'm excited about the future possibilities of this stuff. No gelatin! I normally don't keep much juice in the house, with the exception of orange juice, so I didn't have pretty, sparkling reds for this photo. I rummaged through the pantry and found 100% pineapple juice, not from concentrate, and 100% apple juice that was never used for something I think at Christmas. Those are the two juices in this recipe.

I've adapted this recipe from the Apricot Fruit Gel recipe in The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre. 

Projected prep time: Less than 5 minutes; Projected cook time: 15-20 min.; Projected cool time: 3 hours
3 cups 100% pineapple juice (or use whatever you want, just make sure it's 4 cups)
1 cup 100% apple juice
3 rounded tablespoons organic sugar
3 tbsp. agar agar flakes

Place juice in saucepan with sugar and agar flakes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer, stirring constantly until agar flakes are completely dissolved, about 15 minutes.

Pour mixture into pan or casserole dish and refrigerate until set (about an hour) and cool (3-4 hours).

The original recipe suggests greasing the pan with coconut oil (organic extra virgin is best) and then putting some fruit in the bottom before pouring mixture. This recipe is so versatile, really, and I'm excited to see what else agar agar flakes can do for me!


2 comments:

  1. What in the world are agar agar flakes?! I have never heard of them but WOW. This stuff looks great. My boys love Jello, but I've only fixed it once because of the same hesitations about gelatin you have (plus the fake colors plus the sugar plus the staining that will inevitably happen to shirts, carpet, faces, etc.) Can you send me a photo of the box? I'm going to the health food store tomorrow, and I want to buy some!

    Love that last pic, by the way.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, I added a photo to the post above. I'll msg you so you know it's there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? I love to hear from you and read every comment. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...