Monday, December 6, 2010

Molasses Cookies


It's holiday baking time! These favorites in my house are actually not one of my traditional treats during this season. They do, however, have that great warm, spicy taste and fragrance that begs to be added to your seasonal baking list so I'm including them here. They are easy. And amazingly delicious. Perfectly soft and chewy on the inside with just a little crispy on the outside, mostly on the bottom.

I adapted this recipe to be gluten-free from Better Homes and Gardens' "Our Best Recipes" cookbook. I don't think you'll be disappointed in how this gluten-free version has turned out. My family and friends love them, and I hope you will to.

Projected prep time: 10 min.; Projected bake time: 10 min. per sheet
2 1/4 c. Pamela's Bread Mix & Flour Blend (not the Baking Mix)
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. gluten-free, aluminum-free baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
6 tbsp. salted butter, softened (note: If you only have unsalted you can add a dash of salt to 3/4 c. of it)
1 c. organic sugar (see note below)
1 large egg
1/4 c. molasses
small custard-cup size bowl half-filled with organic sugar, for rolling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If you use a gas oven like I do, you'll probably want to bake these on the top rack. In medium bowl combine flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves.

Beat butter to soften at medium speed and gradually add 1 cup sugar at low speed until fluffy.


Add egg and molasses, beat well and scrape bowl occasionally.


Stir or beat flour mixture into butter mixture gradually, scrape bowl a few times to ensure it's all mixed.

Shape into 1 1/2-inch balls, roll in sugar. Place 2 1/2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake about 10 minutes until light brown but still puffy. You want them to still be puffy when you pull them out. Let stand on cookie sheets for 2 minutes and then transfer to rack to cool.

(*Note on the sugar: If you don't have organic sugar -- not the turbinado but the light brown, finer organic sugar -- you can use dark brown sugar in bottom fourth of measuring cup and add regular granulated white sugar on top BUT it won't have quite the same texture. Also, the organic sugar is best for rolling because it's a little more coarse. In this photo, I had run out of my organic sugar for the rolling so I used white sugar to roll them in. It's really not the same.)




Enjoy!! :)

6 comments:

  1. YUM. My mouth is watering! I actually have some Pamela's mix on hand (Wal-Mart started carrying it! Can you believe it?!), so I might have to go whip up a batch.

    Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, that's great -- I didn't know they were carrying it! I went back and added "& Flour Blend" to the post -- it's the bread mix & flour blend, not the baking mix. Just wanted to make sure I made that clear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes--our Wal-Mart kind of shows off since we are near the home office. But they have started a gluten-free section. I know you aren't close to a WM (right?). If you ever need anything, I'm happy to ship it to you! :)

    Also--do you have a macro lens on your camera? What type of camera are you using? Your pictures are beautiful. Great light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - yes, I have a little Cannon powershot with a macro feature and that's what I've been using for a lot of these photos. I've been wanting to get a "real" camera, though, but this is a good one for now. Your photos are always great, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these were great! just made them. im still licking my fingers. thanks so much. i feel like i've been handing a new healthier life option. and can have a little fun eating agian. thanks,
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, I'm so glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know -- and I'm so happy you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? I love to hear from you and read every comment. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...