Monday, December 27, 2010

Perfect Corn Bread

Normally I would have this photo showing a slice with melted butter dripping from a slit halfway through the bread, but I was using the entire skillet of corn bread for my stuffing and needed it dry, so I didn't want to do that. Just sayin'.

This cornbread, in my opinion, is perfect. The texture, weight, taste -- all of it.

When I went gluten-free, I didn't know how I wanted to go about making my corn bread. I had always used Aunt Jemima yellow cornmeal and had followed the recipe from the bag. Oh, what a treat I was in for when I started experimenting with different cornmeals and recipes! This is the one I've finally settled on. I've adapted it from Carol Fenster's Corn Bread recipe in Gluten-Free 101.

Projected prep time: 5-10 min; Projected bake time: 25-30 min.
(Printable Recipe)

1 1/4 c. Lamb's white cornmeal
1 c. Pamela's bread mix and flour blend
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. gluten-free, aluminum-free baking powder
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 c. milk (use almond milk to make dairy-free)
1/3 c. unsalted butter, melted (or dairy sub for dairy-free)

I use my cast-iron skillet for this recipe, but an 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking dish or pan would work.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and pour a little, maybe a tablespoon, into the skillet, coating the entire bottom and sides.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the center.

Whisk eggs and milk together in another bowl until well blended.

Add this mixture all at once into the well of the dry ingredients and mix just until starting to get moistened, then add the melted butter and mix well. Pour into skillet.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is firm and edges are golden brown. Corn bread is done if a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? I love to hear from you and read every comment. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...