Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Super-easy chicken cacciatore with rice


I got this recipe years ago from a little mailing that Nestle (or was it Carnation?) sent out. To think I would have thrown it out as junk mail if I hadn't had a little extra time on my hands ...

This is super-easy, very quick and tastes pretty good if you season it right. Here is the recipe, with some variations on my part:

Projected prep time: 10 min; Total cook time (including rice, see note): 25 min. (1 hr if using brown rice)
(Printable Recipe)

3 c. cooked long grain rice or brown rice
1 lb. chicken breast, cubed into bite-size pieces
1 bell pepper, cut into strips lengthwise and then cut in half
1 container refrigerated gluten-free marinara sauce, or a jar (I usually use the jar of Prego marinara b/c I always have one on hand)
(Optional: 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Italian seasoning to taste, if desired
Extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil

While rice is cooking, saute bell peppers in large pan with oil while cubing chicken. Add chicken, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until a little browned and cooked through. Add more salt and pepper to taste after chicken is cooked. Add marinara sauce (and tomatoes if you are using them) and bring to simmer. Cover and simmer at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Italian seasoning to taste if desired. Stir in rice and add more salt or pepper to taste if needed. Note: If you use brown rice, it will not only taste great but be more nutritious. It takes more time, though, so you'll have to plan ahead more.

That's it! By the way, this will likely be my last post for a few days because of a very busy weekend. I plan to have something else for you on Monday. Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. gonna try ty for taking time gluten free , sucks but really helping my stomach. looks like it should be ok

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? I love to hear from you and read every comment. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...